Monday, April 30, 2007

Youville, Cambridge MA

So Mom moved to the Youville Rehabilitation Center on 1575 Cambridge St., Cambridge, MA. As Missy Connors commented it sounds like something out of a Dr. Seuss book. The brusque announcement of the change was a surprise for all of us. Between 1 and 3 in the afternoon, Ciola Bennett (the patient care coordinator) stopped by Mom's room and said she would be moving at 5:00 pm. Anna, Andrew, Stephen, Uncle John & Aunt Mary helped pack up and move Mom's accumulated belongings. When we arrived at Youville (its website is www.youville.org) we were immediately stuck by how peaceful it seemed compared to BWH. Mom will definitely be able to rest more here. Andrew also saw a piano in a recreation room - so we told Mom that rather than walk in circles, she could walk to the piano instead. She has one roommate, and the room has less amenities than BWH (e.g. there is no personal refrigerator and no closet space), but the building is nice. It is a lot harder to drive to than BWH - a lot of traffic and convoluted roadways, but the parking is free after 5. I think Mom, Andrew, and I definitely had a nostalgic feeling when we said goodbye to the many nurses, patient care assistants, and doctors whom we come to know over the past two weeks at BWH - in many ways it had become our home... Dad and Anna are visiting Mom now. She seemed quite tired when Andrew and I left.

Stephen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These moves always seem to come suddenly, but we will pray that the change will allow more rest and healing so that Joanne can soon join the family at home!

Praying every day,
Amy (Rideout) Horrocks

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" (Romans 8:26).

Jen said...

Joanne, I hope that you can settle into your new temporary home -- I know on some level it must be unsettling. I also hope you are really able to sleep tonight...

My thoughts and prayers are with you friend,

Jen

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that you are on our hearts. The kids pray for you everyday on their way to school.

May God give you renewed strength,
Sandy Juraschek

Jen said...

Hey Joanne, I hope you are feeling more comfortable in Youville now, and that you were able to really get some sleep last night...

This morning after our prayer time for Natick High, Becky suggested that she, Ruth Hepp, myself pray for you and your family for a while (which we did)...

Much love, Jen

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,
I am so glad to hear that you are in a rehab facility. I know the pace and enviroment there will feel more peaceful than BWH.
It was good to see you Sat. I will visit you at Youville.
Matthew said he missed you and hope you get better soon.
Thinking of you and expecting GREAT things!
I Love you,
Carlota