Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mom's meeting with Doctors

Dr. Fleming (Dr. Berkowitz's colleague) came through to see Mom and gave her an overview of what she observed in the operating room as well as answered some of her questions. One significant question Mom had was regarding staging the cancer. Dr. Fleming said that the fluid in Mom's lung led both her and Dr. Berkowitz to believe that it was stage IV primary peritoneal cancer. At this point Mom started crying, Dr. Fleming assured her that this was typical for women diagnosed with ovarian cancer and that there was reason to be hopeful, because this cancer was generally responsive to chemotherapy. She also pointed out that they are still waiting for the pathology report, which will be available within four days. Dr. Berkowitz will drop in later today around 9:30 am with additional details to answer her questions.

Dr. Fleming also mentioned that she will need to walk around today to help prevent the formation of blood clots - this made Mom a little anxious as well.

Keep praying for her.

Stephen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Juraschek family, "be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might." It is God who is at work in you. Do not be discouraged, for His will is perfect! He's taken note of every drop of tear and every wimper of prayer.

Strengthen one another for this adversity what he made family for. You are a testament to his plan.

We continue to pray with you....Holy Spirit, lift them up and strengthen them. Amen

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanne,
Juris and I continue on our knees before the LORD on your behalf and on behalf of your dear family, as well as all the physicians, etc., at BWH.
Praise God for blogs! It is so helpful to received updates so that we can pray specifically.
We know that God "...is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,..." We pray that "...according to the riches of His glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in your inner being....that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have the strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:16-20
Even though I cannot be there with you to give you a big hug, be assured that I am there in spirit.
Love, prayers and blessings on you and your family,
Judith and Juris

Jen said...

Joanne -- I am so exceedingly sorry for what all of you are going through -- I feel very helpless to help you as there are so few, (if any), human words of comfort that I can offer. Clinging not only to God's sovereignty, but his complete goodness, as well as the fact that He knows what He is doing at all times and did not have a "momentary lapse," are the only ultimately comforting thoughts -- every day of your life has already been determined "Man's days are determined; you have decreed the number of his months and have set limits he cannot exceed." Job 14:5, and "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Mt. 6:27. God has been sovereignly operating, (and will obviously continue to), over every part of this process -- from failure to detect the tumors in your belly during that pelvic ultrasound in early March -- to noise from Blanchard which had nothing to do with anything -- God is in control Joanne -- no matter how much He seems to be lapsing -- and this you already know with almost 100% assurance. It has been tested -- (a lot actually), but never to this level. But He now seems to be placing you in a position to say: "as my ears had heard of You, but now my eyes (will) see You..." (Job 42:5)

"You whom I, the Lord, have taken from the ends of the earth, and have called from the corners of it, and said to you, You are My servant; I have chosen you and not cast you off (even though you were exiled.) Fear not; for I am with you; do not look around in terror and be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and harden you (to difficulties); yes, I will help you; yes, I will hold you up and retain you with My victorious right hand of rightness and justice." Is 41:9-10 "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." Is 43:19

You -- all of you -- are in my prayers and my thoughts constantly --

I love you friend,

Jen