Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tuesday Afternoon Update

Anna is at the hospital now. We are taking turns scratching Mom's legs and asking the nurse for things. She is trying to sleep with the usual challenges. She seems more optimistic though - Anna really encouraged her. We are still waiting to see the oncologist. One of the things that has been discussed today has been a TPN (via a PIC line) for intravenous nutrition. A doctor came by with a consent form about the insertion procedure/operation. It will take place tomorrow afternoon and requires only minor sedation. Altogether the procedure will take 1 hour. Basically they will be inserting a lumen (opening) right above her chest that will serve as an entry point for medication, nutrition, chemotherapy, and blood drawing. Having this pick line will reduce future discomfort and risks are minimal.

Dr. Ebony (one of Dr. Berkowitz's team) has also stopped by and checked on Mom's pain management and allowed her to air out her legs - the cause of all the itchiness is two leg boots meant to reduce the risk of blood clots developing in her legs. The boots generate a lot of heat and make her legs sweat. She was able to address some of Mom's concerns and answer some of Anna's questions. She also mentioned that Mom's blood counts were great - even better than her own which is a definite sign of recovery.

On another note, Mom is always asking me to read the latest comments posted on the blog. Thank you all for your postings. They have been a great way to draw her out of her situation and encourage her.

Stephen

5 comments:

Caissy said...

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater;
He sendeth more strength when the labours increase;
To added affliction, He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.

His love has no limit, His grace knows no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men,
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed e'er the day is half done,
When we've reached the end of our hoarded resources,
Our Father's full giving is only begun.

Joanne & family--Dave & I love you all so much! We are praying for you all, all the time. Ardith

Dear Mrs. J, I love you so much and am praying for you constantly. Your faith is strong, and the Lord will see you through. Love,
Melissa

i love you mrs. j and i hope that you get better soon
martha

Mrs. J, I hope you feel better and I am praying for you. you are very special and we miss you.
Matt

Hi Mrs. J. I just wanted you to know that I love you and I am praying for you. I miss you a lot and hope that you get better soon.
Love you!
Lydia

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,

We are still trying to get a blog to you - don't know what I am doing wrong -At WCA you were always there to help me with my computer problems!
Reading your blog is so enlightening, be sure to let your family know how much we appreciate the updates. Please don't let the numbers, etc. get to you Joanne, you ARE NOT a statistic; and you have the ultimate HEALER within you - just REST in the Lord.

Love, Betty V

Anonymous said...

Joanne, we've been keeping up with everything through the blog which is great as we know how to pray specifically. So glad you made it through the surgery and now we're praying for a quick recovery with a minimum of problems. You've got a hard road ahead of you but I know that God will comfort you in ways you can't imagine and that His grace and mercy will be available every minute of every day. He is truly our Sufficiency. We're also praying for all of you as you go through this with your wife and mother that the Lord will be with you, comfort you and give you peace and patience.

Love and prayers, Jan and Bunk Graves (Jennifer's parents)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,
Stephen provides a very detailed report on your situation. We are thinking and praying for you and your family. Let me know when you want a visit or some TLC.
I will ask my church family to pray for you as well.
Carlota

jessica said...

Mrs. Juraschek,
I have been checking your blog frequently to read the updates, but haven't known quite what to post. It's difficult to know what to say. I am thankful that despite these present hardships, the Lord has blessed you with a good doctor and a loving family. You have always taken such wonderful care of those around you, and now you can rest in others' love for you and the Lord's love for you. Even though I'm 1500 miles away, I think of you frequently and pray for you throughout the day. This morning I read 2 Corinthians 4:7, "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels that the excellency of the power may be of God and not out of us." Much love to you!