Friday, April 20, 2007

Pathology Report

Dr. Berkowitz came in and told Mom that the pathology report is back and consistent with what they believed - Mom has peritoneal cancer (a cousin of ovarian cancer - they behave very similarly). He said this was good in that it is quite responsive to chemotherapy (as opposed to something like pancreatic cancer). The plan for now is to let Mom mend over the weekend and then on Monday meet with Dr. Susan Berlin, the oncologist. Based on how Mom feels and what Dr. Berlin says, they will hopefully be able to start chemotherapy soon. It's not that it is extremely urgent to start soon, Dr. Berkowitz just wants Mom's "course" to recovery to begin as quickly as possible. Mom asked about stage IV - Dr. Berkowitz said they have no proof of stage IV - the cancer is definitely stage III with fluid in the pleural cavity (which is common), but there is no proof of stage IV - to prove this they would have to draw fluid out of the lung with a syringe. These cancers are universally observed at stages III or IV.

Right now Mom needs to walk to wake up her small bowel.

Also, they clamped her NG tube - so Mom will be looking for symptoms of nausea or vomiting. If she experiences neither of these symptoms then they will consider removing the tube.

Stephen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joanne,

I have been following your progress and want you to know that I pray for you daily. I am praying for you that God would supply you with peace, and meet you physical needs of comfort, rest and healing. I also know that God has answered so many prayers already working out the events of the last few days. I was reflecting on how much progress you have made since even last week. God is working!!!! Praise him. There is a plan developing and may he grant the Doctors wisdom as they proceed. I wish to come see you I will contact Melissa Conners to get "signed up". Thank you for your expample of faith in action. God bless your entire family.

Lori Ozuna

Jen said...

Joanne -- I have been without a computer all week except for that brief hour I had with a laptop earlier in the week when I was able to leave a comment...(something was downloaded that trashed the operating system -- and David hasn't had opportunity to fix it as he has been in Florida all week w/all the available laptops). I am able to read the blog from my Sidekick -- however, I am unable to leave a comment.

As I have read the blog all week, my heart has lurched. I have really learned a lot from Oswald Chambers, and one of the things he said about fear particularly struck me:

" "He hath said...so that we may boldly say.." Heb. 13:5-6 My say-so is to be built on God's say-so. God says - "I will never leave thee," then I can with good courage say -- "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear --" I will not be haunted by apprehension. This does not mean that I will not be tempted to fear, but I will remember God's say-so. I will be full of courage, like a child "bucking himself up" to reach the standard his father wants. Faith in many a one falters when the apprehensions come, they forget the meaning of God's say-so, forget to take a deep breath spiritually. The only way to get the dread taken out of us is to listen to God's say-so. What are you dreading? You are not a coward about it, you are going to face it, but there is a feeling of dread. When there is nothing and no one to help you, say -- "But the Lord is my Helper, this second, in my present outlook." Are you learning to say things after listening to God, or are you saying things and trying to make God's word fit in? Get hold of the Father's say-so, and then say with good courage -- "I will not fear." It does not matter what evil or wrong may be in the way, He has said -- "I will never leave thee." Frailty is another thing that gets in between God's say-so and ours. When we realize how feeble we are in facing difficulties, the difficulties become like giants, we become like grasshoppers, and God becomes a non-entity. Remember God's say-so -- "I will in no wise fail you." Have we learned to sing after hearing God's key-note? Are we always possessed with the courage to say -- "The Lord is my helper," or are we succumbing?"

It would be very easy to succumb. Yesterday would be a case in point. And even though his use of the term "say-so" I found moderately annoying, the concept is immensely true.

You are always on my mind and heart Joanne, even though I know there is little tangibly that I can contribute to comfort you. I am so sorry for all you are going through, yet even I, have to keep reminding myself, that God not only has a plan that He never fails to ultimately implement, but it is always the most excellent -- very uniquely designed to help each one of us particularly, to get to the highest -- not the lowest -- available place He has planned for us. Of course, this is not a new concept for you -- it's just hard not to think "man, He's taking this too far --" but your faith has been many times tried Joanne, and is very fine...

much love and many prayers my dearest of friends,

Jen

Anonymous said...

Sister Joanne,
Grace and Peace to you! You are always in our prayers. Jesus is the Lord!
Fabio & Danielle

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Juraschek,
I have been thinking about you a lot and I'm making you a mix cd of nina simone songs. She's my most favorite singer and you remind me of her. About a week ago I was walking home from the T and I just randomly started singing, "This is the day that the Lord had made." And I was hearing your voice and picturing you standing up in front of us singing and getting us going and having us sing in rounds - during summer camp and children's meeting. And Mr. Parriot was playing the banjo. Anyways, a happy, happy memory. I also have been talking to Adison about the classes his teacher offers at the Dana Farber - tai chi to help put cancer in remission. His teacher is a scientific consultant for Harvard Medical and the Dana Farber and has been working there for quite some time. Adison spoke to his teacher (Ramel Rones) and he said to give him a call...so I'm in the process of getting that info together for you too. I will send it to your house.
I'm praying for you and your family.
love,
Susanna :)