Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A new adventure

I thought it would be therapeutic to blog my thoughts and progress since I'm often kind of tired and can't always talk on the phone. Also I had to drop my classes at Drexel this quarter (sigh!) since I might fall behind. I have to do something to fill up my time - and I can't really effectively clean my house (which WOULD fill up all my time if I had more energy). I created this blog with the name The Varied Grace of God from 1 Peter 4:10 - because this new experience is bringing me into another aspect of grace. Anyway, I am sure I will have many opportunities to experience many more aspects of grace as we go through this and I want to be able to share about the supply of grace as I go through everything.

First of all, I am home from Glover Hospital awaiting an appointment with a gynecologic oncologist - I am going to see 2 - one at the Beth Israel Hospital in Boston and one at Brigham and Women's Hospital. No appointments yet. I'm trying to avoid having the horrendous problem I had last week with a blockage to my intestines and extreme discomfort. I'm enjoying many different varieties of chicken broth!

For those of you who don't know about what is going on, I had a CT scan and I have tumors on my omentum which were pressing on the intestines and causing a problem with digestion and elimination. The tumors, and also abdominal ascites (fluid) look like ovarian cancer or else peritoneal carcinomatosis. The tumors can't be biopsied because that could spread the cancer throughout my abdomen. In an attempt to rule out other cancers I had a chest ct (negative) and an endoscopy (also negative). I couldn't have a colonoscopy because I couldn't tolerate drink or tolerate all the stuff they gave me to drink. It was by far the most awful stuff I've had to drink - and it was 1 gallon - I drank half and then threw it all up.....so no colonoscopy.

Blood tests showed a slightly elevated CA125 marker for ovarian cancer. So next step is to see the gyn-oc doctor and have surgery to "debulk" my abdomen. Finally - it will be debulked!!! Not exactly how I planned to do that. Oh well.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the visits in the hospital from everyone. Each one of you brought so much joy - and if you didn't come or couldn't come, don't feel bad, you ministered to me by letting me get that much more rest.

I'm not sure how this blog will work but I think you can post your thoughts etc. I'm going to make a cup of tea and try to find a comfortable way to sit down. Lying on the bed is not always comfortable. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

16 comments:

Anna said...

We are waiting to hear back from two doctors' offices regarding appointments. Hopefully these can be made this week. The doctors we are hoping to hear from are Dr. Berkowitz of Brigham and Women's and Dr. Awtrey from Beth Israel. Please let us know of any information you have about gynecological oncologists. Thanks.

Andy Murray said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Mrs. Juraschek!

Sincerely,
Andy Murray (Anna's former Duke Rowing teammate and current Harvard 'colleague')

Hengest said...

Dear Mrs. Juraschek,

My thoughts are with you and yours.

Yours,
Cal (Anna's friend from college)

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanne,
Juris and I are praying for you and for your family. Be assured of our love for you. May God continue to give you HIS peace during these days.
Blessings!

Tim said...

Joanne:

You are in the prayers of everyone here at BTA. We pray God's grace and peace for you and the entire Juraschek family. Please know that you are a part of our family too and we will do all we can for each of you in the days ahead.

Sincerely,

Tim Wiens

Bradley said...

Oh dear Sister Joanne,

We are praying for you and the whole Jurascheck family. We love you dearly! The Lord is in control...I always find the peace when I see that He is on the throne, Hallelujah! So, as you might have known I am not a doctor but I do have a lot of experience with the field of cancer since this is my specialty. I'm on the biochemical side so I understand all the inner-workings. If you have any questions, please let me know! We are with you,
Steve and Juliana

Bradley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne, We went to see you on Tuesday at the Hospital in Needeham; but sorry we missed-you were discharged. Hope you are more comfortable and at peace with the Lord. We pray that you will receive the correct diagnosis and remedy. Be at peace and rest in the love and care of Our dear Lord Jesus. Love, Ron and Jean

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanne,

My sister, your dear friend Patty S., shared your e-mail with me. I have always been inspired by your courage and faith and only hope my thoughts and prayers help you at this time.
I will keep you in my prayers.
Fondly,
JoAnne

Anonymous said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers. His grace will see you through this!

Your bro-in-law,
-Dave

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. I worked with Andrew and he is a great boy. May you all get through this with strength and love.

Lori Ozuna said...

Joanne, We are so grieved to hear of your illness. We are all praying for God's grace, peace, strength, endurance, and wisdom as you face the future. Let Andrew know that Jon spoke of him and said he would be praying for him as well. If there is anything we can do, or pray for let us know. Remember...He has promised never to leave you and will supply your every need. Love from all....

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Jurascheck,

I've been thinking about you and praying for you during this time. I loved your post about you and Andrew singing "God is there for me." I've been enjoying this song too--it is such a comfort. May the Lord continue to give you peace and comfort under the shelter of His wings.

Love, Margaret

Anonymous said...

Hello sister Joanne,

May God speak deeply into you a peace and quiet slumber and may He guard your heart and all your thoughts in Christ Jesus(Phil 4:6). Your well-being, your entire person, has been in my daily exercise and will continue to be so before His glorious face. Two stanzas of Hymn# 370 I have thoroughly enjoyed :
" Come not in terrors, as the King of kings; But kind and good, with healing in Thy wings: Tears for all woes, a heart for every plea; Come, Friend of sinners, thus abide with me."
"I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless: Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness: Where is death's sting? where, grave, thy victory? I triumph still if Thou abide with me."

I am joyful and prayerful that this blog has been established for the Lord to move in so many ways. May the Lord continue to put us in awe at His wondrous workings and all-expansive power.

Grace and more grace,
Daniel Bradley

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne! Your comments about singing hymns with Andrew really touched me. How wonderful it is to be able to sing hymns with your children. Sue , Jed, Jenny and I are keeping you in our prayers! May God bless you and your family.
Sincerely,
Ned Smith

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanne,
You don't know me, and you may not know or remember my husband Greg Tenczar, but you and he are related, at least by marriage. Greg and I recommected with some of the Jurascheks at Greg's Dad's funeral in December. Greg's Dad is Ted Tenczar, Sr. Rose Marie sent me news of your stay in the hospital. Our prayers are with you. When you get stronger, maybe we can get acquainted through e-mail or something. I'm glad to hear your surgery is soon, waiting can be such a trial. Rest and be easy,
God Bless
Lynn and Greg Tenczar