Saturday, May 5, 2007

Saturday at Youville

Mom took some Benadril last night for a rash she has been having. The rash causes a lot of itchiness and is very uncomfortable. On a positive note, the Benadril helped her sleep very well. In the morning she saw the occupational therapist and was able to do 1.5 laps around the hospital floor. Most of the remainder of the afternoon Mom was anticipating the change of her incision sponges. Just before this she enjoyed another encouraging visit from her sister and brother-in-law. Changing the wound was the most painful it has ever been. Mom felt like they were tearing her skin and started crying, struggling to keep from screaming. Apparently one of the sponge pieces bonded so strongly with the side of her wound making its removal excruciatingly painful. The pain was so bad that they had to stop the procedure to give her some Dilaudid (a morphine substitute). Furthermore, there was some confusion on how to operate the wound VAC machine - the nurse wasn't familiar with it. Overall the procedure took 1.5 to 2 hours. During this time the physical therapist came in to work with Mom. This session was cancelled, however, because of the duration of the procedure, causing Mom to lose another opportunity to exercise. This traumatizing experience created a lot of anxiety for Mom, which combined with the Dilaudid caused Mom to sob a lot about the future week - changing the wound on Tuesday and even worse on Friday with Dr. Berkowitz, who just pulls the sponges out without pain medication or patient consideration. It was hard for Mom to get her mind off this. Also, the nurse told Mom that there was some unhealthy tissue in the wound, which would have to be cut out. Mom is exhausted from all these complications and discomforting situations. She said she felt as though she is being hit by waves that just get larger and larger and just when you think you are through one, the next one hits. Please pray that she would find rest for her soul.

Andrew and Dad visited her in the evening. She was really happy to see Andrew, who doesn't get to visit that often.

Another source of concern is that I be will leaving for California on Sunday afternoon. Mom is afraid of being alone during these difficult procedures. In many ways she still needs a lot of help. The nurses here often don't seem to remember what medications they have given Mom, and several times Mom has corrected them and is usually right when they consult the record.

Stephen Juraschek

2 comments:

katherine said...

Dear Mrs. Juraschek,
You continue to be in my prayers. I appreciate the updates from Stephen and the family--they help me know what to pray for.
Well, I'm finishing up the last semester here at Verity. I'll be graduating May 26th with a degree in Communications. Time has really flown by and it's hard to believe that I'll be home pretty soon again.
Mrs. Juraschek, I pray that the Lord would continue to sustain you with Himself. While you may be weak, it is in our weaknesses that He is made strong. I Cor. 12:9 says, "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
I love you Mrs. Jurschek.
Katherine Noland

Unknown said...

Hi Joanne,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you to have some rest.

John was in the garden most of the day. He planted snow peas, beans, wando peas and red potatoes.
So we will make you a yummy string bean and wando pea salad in the near future.

I raked leaves for almost 3 hours. I did stop briefly to greet some of our neighbors (chipmunk, redbreasted robin, deer tick - on John's thigh- now in the toilet, etc...)
Due to our Berkshire Mountain climate we have only two daffodils open, but the rest are slowly coming up.

John and I went to the Kripalu Yoga Retreat Center for dinner. It used to be a Jesuit Monastery. There is a small statue of St. Francis holding a dove and a plaque inside that states that "God is Love". The sky was clear and blue today with just a few clouds. The view from the hill overlooks a large peaceful lake and the Berkshire Mountain range and it is truly breathtaking.

Oh, A very funny movie to see is called "Best in Show" It's about dog competitions and it has a great cast.

We love you and pray you have some rest. Love, Mary and John