Wednesday, September 19, 2007

side effects

I have been having the unpleasantries of metal mouth, intestinal difficulties, stomach pain, peeling skin inside my mouth and general yuckiness - all of which means that the chemo is doing its job and cancer cells are being destroyed. It is hard sometimes to keep going - last night I just was overwhelmed with the worry about tomorrow's chemo and its effect on my body when I feel like this. Please pray about the needle insertion - needles are not my favorite....and also pray for my white blood cell count - hopefully it will be at a level where the next part of the chemo can be administered.

I realize that I am a bundle of contradictory feelings - I know I need the second half of the chemo and yet I am worried about the treatment and its side effects. There is a verse in Hebrews 6:18b-19a: "...we may have strong encouragement, we who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us,
19 Which we have as an anchor of the soul,..."

The footnote for anchor says that Anchor signifies that we are on a stormy sea and that without the anchor of hope we may shipwreck.

So while on the stormy sea, I do have an anchor - which is the hope set before us. Lord, strengthen us all today to lay hold of that hope. --A favorite verse of mine about hope is 1 Peter 1:3.

Better go lie down a bit,
much love,
Joanne

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear sister Joanne,

Thank the Lord for His work. Though you are going through this ordeal your postings are a great encouragment to me, herein, is the frangrance of Christ.

We are praying for you.

Much grace,

Juan C. Fuentes

Anonymous said...

Every day you are in my prayers. You and your family. Know there are many others lifting you in prayer, sharing your burden. How precious you are to our Savior.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanne--

Tuesday morning I really enjoyed this verse in Psalm 142:3 "When my spirit grows faint within me, it is You who know my way." It was such a comfort to face my day when I knew that as usual, I would stop trusting the Lord, forget all about Him in fact, (every day heats up in one way or another for all of us!)but it is He who knows my way. What a mercy to always keep coming back to Him who knows our way. I added this verse to a precious collection of bits of the word that can save me through the day. Lydia & I were talking last night about what to do when a bothering thought constantly assails you, & we were enjoying these "bits of the word" that can come into any thought & wash us. The verse I was praying over this morning was Phil. 2:12b& 13 : "...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who operates in you both the willing and the working for His good pleasure." What a pleasure to co-operate with the operating One in us! Hope you are able to enjoy these final days of the summer. I miss you, & we pray for you! Lots of love--Ardith