Yesterday morning, I played the piano for a while - something I haven't done in weeks and I tried singing - however my voice is a cross between Minnie Mouse and Snow White (in the old Disney movie) - kind of squeaky - I guess the chemo affects the vocal chord tissue a bit. I was thankful that I was able to do that much!
I am worried about Thursday's needle puncture - the 2nd IP chemo dose is administered at Dana Farber and they only use a numbing spray on the area - and then have to insert a 1.25" needle into the port which is above my rib. I am nervous about the pain - as I have said - I am not the best candidate for pain and suffering..but I know One who is acquainted with sorrows and grief. Please pray that I can lay hold of Him during the process and that the nurses can get the needle in without difficulty. Please continue to pray for no secondary infections or complications from the chemo and also that I might sleep some.
Someone brought by some apple crisp - and while I can't really taste it, the smell of the apples and cinnamon and nutmeg and brown sugar brought back such rich memories of the fall - for many years my sister and family has journeyed up to New England to have an apple picking adventure - ending the day with dinner at Chili's (not really a New England restaurant but a definite favorite in Dedham!) It has been such a great tradition and one that I looked forward to every year - we pick the apples (to make Polish Apple Cake and apple crisp and apple pies) and a pumpkin for making the fresh pumpkin pies at Thanksgiving. Then we would visit a cornfield maze which was more fun for the younger folks than for us, but we could walk and talk which is something we don't get to do much, living in different states and living such busy lives. The tradition might change a bit this year but I think we'll still get the apples and the great visit. imagine that one whiff of apple crisp brought that rush of pleasant and comforting memories.
There is a hymn a read yesterday when I was at the piano and I'd like to share it with you - I have read it many times in my life at different stages and strength for the day yesterday came with a whiff of apple crisp and hymn singing at the piano.
God has not promised skies always blue,
Flower strewn pathways all our lives through.
God hath not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.
But God hath promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way.
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, undying love.
God hath not promised we shall not know
Toil and temptation, trouble and woe;
He hath not told us we shall not bear
Many a burden, many a care.
God math not promised smooth roads and wide,
Swift, easy, travel, needing no guide;
Never a mountain, rocky and steep,
Never a river, turbid and deep.
Hallelujah for what God has promised. Sometimes I get confused about what is promised to us as believers and then get disappointed when I don't get it - but God has promised strength for the day!Ephesians 6:10 says Finally, be empowered in the Lord and in the might of His strength.
May the Lord grant each of you today's supply of grace which will become your strength for this day. Thank you for standing with me in this struggle - your support also provides the support for each day.
Much love,
Joanne
Monday, September 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Joanne,
Just wanted you to know that I'm still reading, and still praying for your requests, even if I don't always comment. The Lord is surely working out an eternal weight of glory in you, although I'm sure we all wish it were through much less painful means. I will be up in Boston this weekend and if there is time and you are available, I would love to drop by for a visit. Much grace to you.
Hannah
dillerh@gmail.com
Yummm....Polish Apple Cake...Haven't had that delightful treat in some time...I've been really enjoying Leviticus...the 3rd book in the Bible (Old Testament) with footnotes from the recovery version and the life-studies...Chapter 2 begins with the meal offering,i.e. fine flour mingled with oil and frankincense...footnote 4 of verse 1 says that, "The frankincense in the meal offering signifies the fragrance of Christ in His resurrection. That the frankincense was put on the fine flour signifies that Christ's humanity bears the aroma of His resurrection(Matt. 11:20-30; Luke 10:21). As portrayed in the four Gospels, Christ lived a life in His humanity mingled with His divinity and expressing resurrection out from His sufferings(John 18:4-8;19:26-27a). Christ was always filled with the Spirit and saturated with resurrection(Luke4:1;John11:25). And such a Christ lives in us and is being expressed from us as we experience Him in His experiences and offer Him to God according to our experiences of Him. Sounds like a tongue twister, but it is an enjoyable reality to God's children.
Much love,
Michael
Post a Comment