Tuesday, September 11, 2007

rescued from anxiety

I know it's late (2:30 am) - when I take steroids before chemo, they can keep me up. I had 2 visits today: one to coordinate for the children's service, which helped me see beyond the next rounds of chemo to a time when I can serve again! And the other visit from two sisters in the Lord - - they came to visit and we prayed, and sang hymns together - it was a real treat for me - one of them played the piano so I could just sing. I haven't done this for a while. These visits provided me with a way of escape from the anxiety about the upcoming chemo and gave me some insight into the following verse 1 Corinthians 10:13:
13 No temptation has taken you except that which is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow that you be tempted beyond what you are able, but will, with the temptation, also make the way out, that you may be able to endure it.

Today I understood that the "way out" which the Lord provided was through the visit of those sisters. I was not able to fight off the temptation to worry so the Lord brought them to visit and they provided a way out of the worry and also brought me into an enjoyment of the Lord so that I could endure the chemo.

Often I look for grander kinds of "ways out" - that would empower me to overcome the trial alone - like a kind of superhero Christian (which is kind of laughable but unfortunately true). However, like Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians, His strength is manifested in our weakness and really I am just a weak and fragile vessel. How much we need one another! By myself I am just not able to face much, but through the prayers, visits, calls, emails, cards, we are able!

Today I have to go to the hospital for the next round of chemo - 24 hours of taxol IV and then 2 hours of cisplatin IP (intraperitoneal). Then next week I am supposed to have the taxol IP on the 20th. Please pray for the effectiveness of this chemo treatment, and for my endurance of the side effects and for the Lord to regulate my intestines - they are really having a hard time with all the different meds and their side effects - Please pray that I am able to drink - and that I do not get dehydrated.

I should try to rest - thank you all for your faithfulness in prayer and for all the encouragement I receive through your care, which manifests God's love for me over and over.

Much love,
Joanne

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,
As always you are focused on the Lord. You are on My mind and heart......I think that in times of trial and difficulty, when we need to be rescued, we look past the little row boat....Well not you...God Bless you and heal you completely real soon! Thank you for your inspiration and strong faith.
I love you,
Carlota

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,
It's Lisa Sturgis here. Though I have not talked with you or email in sometime, I keep checking in by reading the blog. You remain in my deeply in my heart and are in my prayers and thoughts. I am praying for Andrew as he adjust to college life.
With much love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for your prayer requests.

Many prayers on your behalf, many prayers....Am thankful to Jesus for the gift of the visit you had with our sisters. A manifestation of the Father's love.