Day by day I feel like I have more strength for part of the day - although I am dealing with achy joints and intestinal difficulties - perhaps this will just be the way things are since I had that colon surgery which bypasses a good part of my large intestine. The achy joints may be a side effect of the chemo - I am going to start taking salmon oil and glucosamine to help with that. I still need to rest in the afternoon but I've been trying to do some cooking - which has been fun.
Today I have to go to Dana Farber to get the IV ports flushed - they have to access both ports (I have a double) with those one inch needles and flush them with saline and heparin (I think). I will also have blood tests. The nurses there are experts at this and there isn't usually too much pain involved. I will have to do this monthly while the IV ports are still in. I am not sure about when that port will be removed since I have terrible veins and the port makes blood tests much easier. I believe the IP port removal will be scheduled after December 12th but I haven't heard back from the nurse yet with the official date. It is day surgery at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Hopefully this will be a quick recovery.
It is hard for me these days to discern which aches and pains to pay attention to and which ones I should just ignore - I used to ignore everything and I think that practice got me where I am today. As human beings we are so inept to find our way in these kind of situations - but I was reminded of those verses in the gospel of John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, I am the way and the reality and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Me.
Here is a footnote about the way: The way for man to enter into God is the Lord Himself. Since the way is a living person, the place to which the Lord brings man must also be a person, God the Father Himself. The Lord Himself is the living way by which man is brought into God the Father, the living place. The way needs the reality, and the reality needs the life. The Lord Himself is the life to us. This life brings us the reality, and the reality becomes the way by which we enter into the enjoyment of God the Father.
So I realize that while I am rather inept at knowing what to do at times, the way is the Lord Himself. He is a living person who indwells my spirit and He knows the way - so daily as I touch Him, He will be the way for me. It is comforting to know that we are not alone muddling through our life, trying our best to make the right decisions - we are joined to the Lord in our spirit - we do not have to depend on ourselves but can lean on Him. Hallelujah!
Annie Johnson Flint wrote a hymn about strength for the day - I think I have posted here before - the chorus says
But God hath promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, undying love.
I found a poem she wrote that must have been the inspiration for this hymn. I hope you are encouraged by it:
ONE DAY AT A TIME
By Annie Johnson Flint
One day at a time, with its failures and fears,
With its hurts and mistakes, with its weakness and tears,
With its portion of pain and its burden of care;
One day at a time we must meet and must bear.
One day at a time to be patient and strong;
To be calm under trial and sweet under wrong;
Then its toiling shall pass and its sorrow shall cease;
It shall darken and die, and the night shall bring peace.
One day at a time – but the day is so long,
And the heart is not brave, and the soul is not strong,
O Thou pitiful Christ, be Thou near all the way;
Give courage and patience and strength for the day.
Swift cometh His answer, so clear and so sweet;
“Yea, I will be with thee, thy troubles to meet;
I will not forget thee, nor fail thee, nor grieve;
I will not forsake thee; I never will leave.”
Not yesterday’s load we are called on to bear,
Nor the morrow’s uncertain and shadowy care;
Why should we look forward or back with dismay?
Our needs, as our mercies, are but for the day.
One day at a time, and the day is His day;
He hath numbered its hours, though they haste or delay.
His grace is sufficient; we walk not alone;
As the day, so the strength that He giveth His own.
Praise Him for today's portion of grace, and for the strength that He gives His own!
Much love to all of you,
Joanne
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dear Joanne,
I am so happy that you are recovering and even being able to cook! What a grace!
May the Lord stregthen you more today and be your grace and your way!
Hope to see you soon and give you that big huge I dreamed of.
With love
Debora
What a beautiful hymn. I never read those words before. Thank you for sharing them, your life demonstrates this hymn. beautiful...in Him..
Post a Comment