Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Trying to stay hydrated

Well, it's been awhile since I last wrote - I have had a tough week - last Saturday I had to go back to Dana Farber to get hydrated and get some potassium and magnesium. It seems that the chemo and the intestinal issues cause me to lose those important electrolytes. This past week the teachers at the school where my daughter works have been bringing meals - this has encouraged me to eat - my tongue has sores on it and food just doesn't taste that great - but I have been trying out all the delicious meals that the teachers have been preparing - it has been wonderful. I am drinking water and also V8 juice which has a lot of potassium in it.

Staying hydrated is so important - even spiritually. I read these verses today: Job 14:7-9
7 For there is hope for a tree: If it is cut down, it will sprout again, And its tender shoot will not cease.
8 Though its root grows old in the earth, And its trunk dies in the dirt,
9 At the scent of water it will bud and will produce branches like a new plant.

These verses are so encouraging! At the scent of water the tree will produce branches - where there is life, there is hope! How much we need to stay in the river of water of life day by day, moment by moment. How often just hearing a verse or reading a line of a hymn produces a life-bud in me. Lately I have been worried about whether I have been gaining the Lord through this ordeal. But I was encouraged by these verses today to just stay watered - and spend my days sniffing out water so that the Lord's life in me can grow.

The next step is that I will need to have a small surgery to have the IP port removed - this will be sometime in December. Then I will have to have CT scans and blood tests to see what is happening with the cancer. Please pray that I can stay hydrated and that the side effects subside.

Much love to all of you - and many thanks for your encouraging words, your prayer and your love.
Joanne

No comments: