Thursday, August 16, 2007

Chemo next week and Jehovah-Shalom

I spoke with an oncology nurse about the interperitoneal chemo treatments which begin next week. These rounds are different from the IV chemo I have been receiving. They start in the hospital and involve getting the IV chemo over a 24 hour period and then the chemo in the abdominal cavity and then getting hydrated - followed by another round of the abdominal chemo 5 days later. I also will need to have 11 shots during the round to stimulate the bone marrow to produce white blood cells. I will be dangerously low and susceptible to infection 10-14 days following the chemo. I am praying about resting in the Lord but the anxiety keeps creeping in.
I am so thankful to the Lord that I am able to get this chemo - it is very effective in battling the cancer but I am worried about the unknown side effects - although God who inhabits eternity is there already! Another item for prayer is that everyone in the house is sick with a cold or virus - please pray that I am able to stay infection free so that I can continue with the chemo schedule.

So, this is the next step of the journey - thank you all for continuing to pray that the chemo will get all the microscopic cancer cells and that there will not be any secondary infection.

One of the names of God in the Bible is Jehovah Shalom or the Lord my peace. I am praying that I can enter into the reality of this name of God and be filled with peace. This name of God was revealed to Gideon. He was called by God to do battle against the Midianites, who were an oppressive and powerful people. Here are the verses (Judges 6:23-24a) which describe the Lord's appearing to him:
23 And Jehovah said to him, Peace be with you. Do not be afraid; you shall not die.
24 Then Gideon built an altar there to Jehovah, and he called it Jehovah-shalom.

My worries, like the Midianites, can only be defeated by Jehovah-Shalom. Oh Lord, help us all to enter into the reality of this name.

Much love,
Joanne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Joanne,
I recently heard about your battle & then stumbled across your blog. My what a journey! What an encouragement for us all to be strong in the Lord & in the might of His strength. I just wanted you to know that we are adding our prayers & unutterable groanings to those already faithfully standing with you & your family.I hope we can be faithful too.
Zoe (now with 4 children of her own) remembers you so fondly as her children's meeting teacher...you were an inspiration even then. Please don't feel obligated to respond. Save your strength, but know that we are standing with you.
Dave & Pat Salvione
P.S. I work in the Chidren's Dept of our community library...our summer reading program is just winding down. It's been a gift of a job, great people, great books, great fun!