Hi Everyone,
I guess I need to fill you all in - my mom ended up at the hospital with a severe urinary tract infection and bronchitis, which caused an altered mental status - she was really delusional and was in the hospital for 5 days. She was moved last week to a skilled nursing facility where they were able to monitor her. So I've been visiting her each day - she seems a bit confused and scared to be alone there. The construction on the house is just about complete. It is hard to believe but I can testify that the Lord's grace is more than sufficient - through the flood, the disorganization of everything, the moving of contents of rooms etc. He is the sure supply.
Today I have the fine needle biopsy - it was moved up from last week to today. This shouldn't be painful - but I've had this before many years ago and I remember it wasn't entirely pain free. O Lord. Tomorrow I begin the clinical trial. The infusion of the chemo drug isn't very long - only about 30 minutes. But I have to see Dr. Berlin and have blood tests etc. prior to the infusion - that always takes a long time. My visit with her and the other research nurse Christin was a really good visit. I also saw Irene, the social worker who didn't know about my change in status. The support at Dana-Farber is excellent. But I know I am being sustained and carried by the prayers of all the faithful saints.
I have been enjoying the Gospel of Luke lately and really saw something about the difference between happiness and joy. The verses I was reading were
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18:
16 Always rejoice,
17 Unceasingly pray,
18 In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
How can we always rejoice? Only if the source of our rejoicing is something in another realm..if the primary factor in our lives is God Himself, then we can rejoice regardless of the circumstances. Happiness is so conditional - it is based on our circumstances. If anyone or anything other than God Himself becomes the primary factor in our lives, we will become enslaved to that thing and we will lose our joy. How we need to get ourselves into God each morning and pray to stay there - like the verse in Acts 17:28a: In Him we live, move and are..
If God is the primary factor in our lives, then whether we are healthy or not, we can rejoice, whether we have a job or not, we can rejoice! We rejoice because our center and focus is God alone. This is another aspect of the Jubilee - the freedom from slavery to things working out okay. If the Son sets us free, we are REALLY FREE! Hallelujah!
There a little song I love to pray to the Lord. Here is link to the tune: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php?t=ns&n=116&f=mp3
Lord, I give myself to You right now.
I want to be occupied with You.
I leave all else behind
And concentrate my being on You alone.
Lord You are my focus.
You are my goal.
Lord, I give myself to you right now.
Of course, the wonderful hymn I posted a couple of posts ago still applies - Glorious Freedom! Wonderful Freedom! Take a moment to enjoy that great hyman again.
One simple way to enjoy the freedom that is in Christ alone is simply to call on His name - O Lord Jesus - Just breathe His name. Proverbs says that the name of the Lord is enterable - we can flee into it and be safe (Proverbs 18:10).
Enjoy being free today!
Much love,
Joanne
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment