I don't think I have thought much about my eyelashes for the past 20+ years. The last time I got really concerned about them was probably my senior prom when long, luxurious lashes would be an absolute necessity. After having 4 children, I rarely checked the mirror, and I certainly didn't notice my eyelashes much. This past summer, when I lost my hair, eyebrows, etc. I also lost my eyelashes. I began checking to see if they would ever grow back. I had heard that they can take over a year to return. I also noticed that those lashes have a function - when I rubbed my eyes with lashes, they acted as a buffer and cushion, protecting my eyes. Without them, when I rubbed my eyes, I often caused more pain. I seemed to have more dust, etc. get into my eye as well. Such a tiny item - I can hardly call it a member - of my body has a function! And no other member of my body could perform that function.
This past week my daughter Anna looked at me and announced that my eyelashes are growing back! Short, tiny and not anything close to luxurious, but they are there, functioning in their capacity.
You might think that I have lost my mind writing about eyelashes. But they helped remind me of two things - we are fearfully and wonderfully made. God's design is impeccably perfect. Even eyelashes. I also realized in the spiritual side of things that every member of the Body of Christ is necessary - every member has a function and that function is needed in order for the Body to express the life of Christ, Who indwells them.
In 1 Corinthians chapter 12:14, 17-22, these verses express this principle:
14 For the body is not one member but many.
17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole were the hearing, where would the smelling be?
18 But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, even as He willed.
19 And if all were one member, where would the body be?
20 But now the members are many, but the body one.
21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, I have no need of you; nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 But much rather the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary.
This chapter is wonderful - it speaks about how when one member suffers, all the members suffer. It also speaks about how we are members one of another.
I can't imagine going through what I have been through this year without the members of the Body. Every member has been a source of supply, encouragement, and strength to me. I am so thankful to the Lord for His marvelous arrangement. The Christian life is not joining an organization but being placed by God into an organism that has Christ as its head and life, with all the members functioning to express that life and supply each other with that life.
Today I am going to see a doctor about nutrition that will strengthen my immune system. Please continue to pray for us to be one with the Lord in every aspect of the treatment. Also pray for me to be strengthened to believe the Lord. In this regard, I am reminded of a hymn by John Newton (who wrote Amazing Grace) that so poignantly expresses the believer's daily struggle:
Begone unbelief, my Savior is near,
And for my relief will surely appear:
By prayer let me wrestle, and He wilt perform,
With Christ in the vessel, I smile at the storm.
Though dark be my way, since He is my Guide,
’Tis mine to obey, ’tis His to provide;
Though cisterns be broken, and creatures all fail,
The Word He has spoken shall surely prevail.
His love in time past forbids me to think
He’ll leave me at last in trouble to sink;
Each sweet Ebenezer I have in review,
Confirms His good pleasure to help me quite through.
Determined to save, He watched o’er my path,
When Satan’s blind slave, I sported with death;
And can He have taught me to trust in His Name,
And thus far have brought me, to put me to shame?
Why should I complain of want or distress,
Temptation or pain? He told me no less:
The heirs of salvation, I know from His Word,
Through much tribulation must follow their Lord.
How bitter that cup, no heart can conceive,
Which He drank quite up, that sinners might live!
His way was much rougher, and darker than mine;
Did Jesus thus suffer, and shall I repine?
Since all that I meet shall work for my good,
The bitter is sweet, the medicine is food;
Though painful at present, wilt cease before long,
And then, O! how pleasant, the conqueror’s song!
This is such a wonderful hymn - with Christ in the vessel, I smile at the storm!
Much love,
Joanne
Thursday, January 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You know, I thought I liked hymns before, but it is amazing how rich the words are to meditate upon. And with music I can see how the Lord uses the truths they contain to wash our minds and build faith. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. I've become hungry to learn more of them. Yes, we will continue to pray. So happy to hear about your eyelashes, beautiful revelation, too. In Him..
Post a Comment