Saturday, December 29, 2007

A time for every purpose under heaven

At the close of 2007, I am reminded of these verses in Ecclesiastes chapter 3:1-8:

1 For everything there is a season, And a time for every purpose under heaven:
2 A time to be born, and a time to die; A time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; A time to tear down, and a time to build up;
4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; A time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to seek, and a time to lose; A time to keep, and a time to throw away;
7 A time to tear, and a time to sew; A time to be silent, and a time to speak;
8 A time to love, and a time to hate; A time for war, and a time for peace.


As I read these verses, I realized that this year I have experience much of these "times" - killing, healing, tearing down, building up, weeping, laughing, mourning, dancing. While it has seemed overwhelming at times, nothing has been out of control. God has set the boundaries of each suffering, of each trial. He has supplied superabundantly above all that we could ask or think.

Today my children and my husband talked about those days back in April when I was first diagnosed. I don't remember much of that time but as they related different things that happened I was in awe of all that the Lord has done. While we were not prepared for what happened, we were supplied by God to go through it. We are still being supplied day by day, moment by moment. Even though this year has been filled with an unexpected journey through a region of life that we would never choose, what has sustained us, what has supplied us and what has carried us through has not been the resolution of the problems, but the supply of Life - the divine life that corresponds to our innermost being. We are so thankful for all of you standing with us through these "times."

The incision has healed well and is still a bit tender. I have a follow-up visit with Dr. Berkowitz and a CT scan scheduled for January 9. As the Lord provides, I hope to help out at the Boston Trinity Academy library beginning in January. Please pray for strengthening each day and continued healing.

May the new year bring with it multiple opportunities for all of us to experience and plumb the depths of the love of God, the grace of Christ and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.

Much love to you all,
Joanne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanne,
You're journey and this blog has been incredible and an amazing testimony to the Lord absolutely filled with strength and encouragement for all who read your words. you'll never know how far it has reached. You're perspective is always so human yet so spiritual. Sometimes when I read what you've written it would just kill me...to read of your suffering and pain...your trials & tribulations laid out as an open book. I would be overwhelmed and my tears just flowed... but you always uplifted at the same time and I was turned within. The hymns you enjoyed always made me (and I'm sure all of your readers) enjoy them too therefore being brought into grace with you. I am always thankful to the Lord for the continuous supply of grace that you and your wonderful family has received and for what has overflowed through this blog. I hope to see you again soon and I hope that you'll continue to take your healing and your physical strength and energy day by day.
Love and peace through our Lord Jesus Christ
~ Christine P

Anonymous said...

My heart is so full and I am thankful beyond words at all the Lord has done in and through your life. I'm right there with Christine. We are all changed. Continued blessings upon you and your family. In Him..