Sunday, December 9, 2007

Giving and receiving

I actually used the ellipical trainer yesterday for 11 minutes! A new world record for out of shape me! Today, however, I was not able to do much - but I did a little cooking, which was fun. I am still having intestinal issues - hopefully this will lessen as I get stronger. My outing on Friday was really wonderful. It was great to visit with dear friends who manifest the love of God to me. Last night I got a call from someone who used to live in Dedham, who was like a part of our family when my children were younger - her daughter was our babysitter and she spent a lot of time with us. She didn't know what I had been through but was so full of encouragement from the Lord for me. It was a wonderful call. I woke up today thinking about how much I have received during this time of trial. Even though it has been a time of loss, I have been the rich recipient of the superabundance of the Lord's rich supply, ministered to me by so many of you - whether through your prayer, fellowship, meals, emails, phone calls, visits, cards....you have all given so much - be assured of this promise in Luke 6:38:

38 Give, and it will be given to you; a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, they will give into your bosom. For with what measure you measure, it shall be measured to you in return.

When I read this verse, I was reminded of this hymn - written by a sister, serving the Lord in China:

1 There is always something over,
When we taste our gracious Lord;
Ev'ry cup He fills o'erfloweth,
Rich supply He doth afford.
Nothing narrow, nothing stinted,
Ever issued from His store;
To His own He gives full measure,
Running over, evermore.
To His own He gives full measure,
Running over, evermore.

2 There is always something over,
When we, from the Father's hand,
Take our portion with thanksgiving,
Praising for the things He planned.
Satisfaction, full and deepening,
All our need He doth supply,
When the heart has tasted Jesus
Its desires to satisfy.
When the heart has tasted Jesus
Its desires to satisfy.

3 There is always something over,
When we share in all His love;
Unplumbed depths still lie beneath us,
Unscaled heights rise far above.
Human lips can never utter
All His wondrous tenderness.
We can only praise and wonder
And His Name forever bless.
We can only praise and wonder
And His Name forever bless.

We really experience the riches of the Lord when we live in the reality of the Body of Christ - which I have surely experienced during these last 8 months. When we share the riches of Christ with others, we get back more riches! That exchange of riches does something eternal between us. It is too marvelous - and inexhaustible. We will never reach the end of these riches and will be enjoying them for eternity!

Well, I best be going to bed - I still somehow wake up very early.
Much love to you all,
Joanne

No comments: