Friday, June 1, 2007

new challenge

While I have never considered this a challenge before, today I am faced with taking a shower - something I have not done with the wound I still have in my abdomen. It is advised by the nurses that water run over the wound and cleanse out any impurities. However, I have not seen this wound and am rather uneasy about seeing it. So, one prayer request today is for taking care of this event with ease and courage. Since I no longer have the more dense packing on the wound which was part of the wound vac system, I feel the wound a lot more - i.e. more pain. But it's somewhat bearable. Please pray for Paul as he is struggling with all the work he usually has plus having to run the household and take care of things like food shopping, etc. plus, of course, the emotional strain of having to be a caregiver. It is very difficult. We appreciate all the meals and help with housework - this has lessened his load considerably.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things in Him who empowers me", which is the converse of John 15:5 "Apart from Me, you can do nothing." These are verses that I have quoted and prayed over and considered much in my life. Yet I have always considered them in the greater context of what is familiar to me. This stage in my life is unfamiliar - I do not know how to face simple things like showers, nor do I know how to adequately show my appreciation to my husband and family for all the sacrifices they endure on my behalf. I prayed this morning and told the Lord that I don't know how to be the kind of person that these situations require. But He is that person. And He can meet the requirements for each situation that I cannot meet. So, today the Lord will be my person in the shower!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,

You always speak to me through your e-mails, blogs, etc. Thank you for sharing your real concerns. Just being able to talk about them sometimes help to overcome. PTL we know "THAT PERSON" that heals, comforts, sustains. . .

Love, Betty

jessica said...

Hi Mrs. Juraschek,
It is refreshing and encouraging to hear your voice on the blog! I still read the updates daily and pray for you often. Kris and I arranged a trip to "the homeland" for early August, and I look forward to seeing you then!
Love,
Jessica

Anonymous said...

Hi joanne,
.....so glad to see you writing ...I do hope your shower was and will be refreshing and enjoyable...hope to talk to you soon
Carlota

Kara Schaff Dean said...

Hi Joanne--I'm so glad to see that you are back at the blog. What an encouraging turn of events! --Kara