Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Wigs, protein drinks, showers, and grace

I have been really tired lately, so I haven't been posting too much. I guess I am doing more at home that I realize. We visited Dana Farber yesterday and I was able to pick up a wig (no, not blond) that looks really natural, I think. It was hard to find something that looked like my hair which is not really super curly, not really long, etc, etc. A few of the wigs looked like one of the dogs in the movie Lady and the Tramp. I kept laughing and telling the wig lady that I kind of looked like a dog in some of them. She was quite surprised but she kept on and found one.

We also visited the nutritionist who says I have to take in more protein and calories. So I am going to have to drink some kind of protein drink 3x a day - in addition to meals. I am not sure how this will work out.

My next chemo treatment is June 13th. Please pray for the effectiveness of the chemo to kill those renegade cancer cells - and also pray that I wouldn't be completely clobbered by the treatment - last time I didn't eat or drink much for 4 days but I had the liquid nutrition (TPN). This time there is no TPN, so somehow I have to be able to take in nourishment.

I have to face another shower today. This is somewhat stressful since the aide and I are supposed to remove the wound dressing without the help of the nurse. The visiting nurses are required to show improvement in the patient and taking the shower and removing the dressing without the nurse shows this. They also are supposed to train a family member to do the dressing change - however, I don't have a family member that is able to do this right now due to schedules and having to do a million other things - it is frustrating and stressful to have to deal with following the rules of the insurance company - which seem out of touch with the family's situation. I've been praying that this would work out but it does give me a headache.

I'm going to rest a bit - to garner strength for the day's challenges. I am thankful for today's portion of grace which can meet and surpass all my needs. His grace is sufficient. Lord, strengthen us all to come forward to You today to take the grace You are supplying! Thank you Lord!
Joanne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joanne, I haven't written yet but everyday I read the postings. Technology is such a great thing. But I much more prefer the voice of the receiver. You sounded great in your last posting. I love the story about the wigs. I could visualize your trying on the wigs and was laughing. Hey! Why not go blond? I wish I could be there with you but for now we are one in spirit.
Yes, His grace is all sufficient and every situation is that we would come forward to our spirit and live this God-Man Life.
I love you
Barb E.

Anonymous said...

Joanne:
We are still praying for you daily here in Virginia.
Try to get your hands on some NAC - N-Acetyl Cystine, I think.
You want 1800+ mg a day.
This is a NATURAL high potency antioxidant. It will fight the cancer, fight the damage in your other body parts from the chemo, and will help you overall. (Actually any really strong anti-oxidant is valuable. This one is natural, cheap, and I KNOW it works.)

Stay strong and courageous.

You are being surrounded in prayer daily.

We love you.

-Dave