Sunday, March 22, 2009

Update and Spring

Turns out Wednesday's upper GI series or fluoroscopy showed a narrowing of the stent but not an obstruction. I still have pain and discomfort but food is traveling through. I was able to have the chemo Thursday, and there were no complications. They really knocked me out and I slept almost the entire time. I will be getting the gemzar on a different schedule than the taxol - it is still on a 3 week rotation but I have day 1 - Carboplatin and Gemzar, day 8 gemzar (except for this week which will be on day 7) - and then on day 15 a blood test, then back to day 1 for the next round. Please pray for the effectiveness of this drug to kill the cancer cells, and eliminate the tumors.

The other day out by my driveway I saw these bumps in the garden. At first I thought skunks were at work digging up the bulbs - but when I investigated I saw the tiny, green tips of spring bulbs pushing up through the cold earth toward the sun. The bumps were the earth on top of those little tips being pushed out of the way! All through this past winter it has seemed almost hopeless that the bulbs would come again - they were buried beneath several feet of snow, frozen and subjected to harsh extremes in temperature. We all wondered if they would ever come back this year. Even the side of the house where they are planted doesn't get a good deal of sun so they weren't really warming up very much. But still, in spite of all these obstacles, the life in those bulbs is pushing forth - pushing up through the earth to the sun. It is so encouraging. I thought we are like those bulbs. We go through cold, dark seasons with harsh weather, and are buried by our circumstances. But we have a life gene in us! This life is an overcoming life! We don't depend upon how well we can survive the elements, but rather we depend upon the functioning of that overcoming life to triumph, burst forth, and live! So rather than focus on the dark environment or harsh weather, may we enjoy the functioning of that victorious life within!

Here is a wonderful hymn about the victorious life of Christ which is operating in us! Hallelujah! Here is a link to the hymn's tune:
http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php?t=h&n=1174&f=mp3

1 What a victory! What a triumph!
God Himself became a man,
Clothed Himself in human nature
To fulfill His mighty plan.
He through death destroyed the devil;
Risen now, the Son of Man!

2 Jesus by His human virtues
Did the subtle one arrest;
He as man withstood the tempter,
Fully passed through every test.
Now in spirit I can take Him,
All His virtues to possess.

3 In the Spirit of this Jesus
Is His human life so fine.
Human virtues have been added
To the Spirit all divine.
What abundance in this Spirit,
Rich supply for all mankind!

4 How mysterious! Yet how real!
Such a man now lives in me.
Into all my heart He's spreading—
He, my human life, to be.
Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
I will praise unceasingly.

5 Oh, what wonder! Oh, how glorious!
God in flesh is manifest.
We the members of His Body
His humanity express.
For the building of God's dwelling
We His human life possess.


Thank you all for your consistent prayer and stedfast love - what a blessing to be in the body of Christ in reality.

Much love,
Joanne

No comments: