Hi Everyone,
My chemo has been moved to Tuesday March 17th. I haven't been in touch with Dr. Berlin about how many more rounds I will have - but I should see her on Tuesday and will ask then. My daughter Anna came for a visit this past week - and my son Stephen arrived last night and will be here for a week. I am so thankful for their visits. This has been a rough week for me as a close friend and former co-worker and co-patient at Dana-Farber (with the same type of cancer), Betty Vifquain, passed away. She was a real encouragement to me when I was first diagnosed and we continued to encourage one another through the treatments, the anxieties and fears. She really loved the Lord and continually testified to everyone of her faith and love for the Lord. What struck me about Betty was that she spent her days sowing seeds of the kingdom into everyone who knew her. What a testimony - and what a legacy. I am sure she is now enjoying unobscured, face to face fellowship with the Lord and with other lovers of Jesus.
Her passing away hit me kind of hard because it seemed so sudden (she was only in hospice for 10 days) and a heaviness came over me that was hard to shake.
Having my daughter come for a visit and also going to school to work with the students helped me get through. Young people are so alive - they love life and live in the "now" - watching them this week and talking with them helped me stop living in the what ifs of the future and enjoy what the Lord has given me – which is this moment.
I am reminded of the verses in Philippians 1:21-23: 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 But if I am to live in the flesh, if this to me is fruit for my work, then I do not know what I will choose. 23 But I am constrained between the two, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for this is far better.
There is a footnote for verse 23 – with Christ:
To be with Christ is a matter of degree, not place. Paul desired to be with Christ in a higher degree, although he was already with Him constantly. Through his physical death he would be with Christ to a fuller extent than he enjoyed in this earthly life.
To be with Christ is a matter of degree, not place. I pray that day by day there would be an increase in the degree to which we are with Christ.
Here is a very uplifting, strengthening hymn – I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
Here is a link to the tune: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php?t=h&n=540&f=mp3
1 What release the Savior gave me!
Christ indeed has set me free!
All the pow’r of sin is broken,
All death’s sting is passed from me!
Chorus
Christ has made me more than conqu’ror,
By His mighty victory,
Now His resurrection power
From my spirit strengthens me!
2 From the law Christ has delivered,
To its claims I’m ever dead;
Nevermore the law shall bind me,
But by grace I’ll live instead.
3 Christ has sin condemned at Calv’ry
And its power done away;
Now it has no ground within me,
I am freed from all its sway.
4 Death by Him has been abolished,
Incorrupted life is shown;
Death’s enthralling bonds are broken,
Resurrection life is known.
5 Christ through death has crushed the devil,
World and demons by His might,
From the pow’r of darkness brought me
To the realm of life and light.
6 All-sufficient grace He giveth,
With His pow’r He covers me,
Makes me glory in my weakness
And in weakness strengthens me.
Please continue to pray as the Lord leads for the effective working of the chemo - and for God's will to be done. I do pray that we all will be filled with peace - not anxiety and be strengthened by the Lord's resurrection power, and enter into that release that can only be known by those who know Christ.
Love,
Joanne
Saturday, March 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment