Hi Everyone,
Sorry for the delay in updating you all, but I ended up going to the emergency room at Brigham and Women's on Tuesday (along with MANY other people) because the vomiting had not subsided and Dr. Berlin thought there might be a partial obstruction. I didn't have to wait too long to get into a bed but had to spend the night in the emergency room because the hospital had nothing available until the next day. I had a CT scan which showed that all the tumors and suspicious lymph nodes had gotten smaller (Hallelujah!). So at first the doctors thought that the cancer was caused my GI system to malfunction. I didn't feel that this was the only problem, but just prayed that the Lord would uncover and resolve whatever needed to be resolved. I was in the hospital until Friday when I was hurriedly discharged so that I could keep an out-patient appointment with a Gastro-neurologist Dr. Stoffel, which had been made one month ago. When I left, I was still in pain and didn't feel any better then when I was first admitted. But God was at work behind the scenes. Seeing this doctor was vital - she looked at the CT scan and she felt that I needed a further barium study to look at the stent area because she felt that that area looked clogged or compressed. While I was still in the exam room, she checked and found that they x-ray people could do the test right away, so we walked over to that area and I had the test immediately. They read the xray which confirmed the doctor's diagnosis (there was only 1 mm of fluid going through the stent area) and contacted the doctor and then I went back to her office and she said that I should be readmitted to the hospital and that the doctor that placed the stent back in November (Dr. Carlock) would be able to do the endoscopic procedure to look at, clean out and perhaps place a new stent if necessary. [Sorry for the long run on sentences.] The procedure was done on Friday night and what was supposed to be 30 minutes turned out to be 90 minutes. The stent area was clogged - I suppose I should clarify - I thought the stent was like a ring of a looseleaf binder - but it is long and follows the duodenum in length - so there were 2 of them placed and the front one had become loose and was free floating. Food (mostly vegetables) had gotten stuck in that area so that nothing much could pass through. The doctor was able to remove that stent, clean out the area and place a new stent that was longer and fit into the second one which was doing fine. I have to be very strict about eating since these stents tend to clog easily. This procedure was not too painful but very uncomfortable - my throat and stomach hurt a lot today. Since I was able to eat solid food, I was released from the hospital and returned home in time for dinner. I was able to eat some pureed soup tonight and some gelato - which helped the back of my throat. It is good to be home and I am just in awe of how the Lord took care of so many details - even before we asked He had answered having everything in place.
Isaiah 65:24 says: And it will be that before they call, I will answer; Even while they are speaking, I will hear.
Psalms 66:19-20 says: 19 But indeed God has heard; He has given heed to the voice of my prayer. 20 Blessed be God, Who has not turned my prayer away Nor His lovingkindness from me.
Here is a wonderful hymn about prayer - I do appreciate all the prayer - I know that the resolution of this latest problem is due to that prayer and God's faithfulness.
Here is a link to the melody if you want to sing along. http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php?t=h&n=771&f=mid
1 The veil is rent and opened is
A new and living way;
With boldness thru the precious blood,
We come to Thee to pray.
2 By Thy redemption we may come
Into the holiest place;
Thy Spirit now anointing us,
We touch the throne of grace.
3 In spirit only we would pray,
Ourselves by Thee possessed,
That from our spirit Christ the Lord
As incense be expressed.
4 Thy grace and mercy as a stream
From out the throne does flow,
Refreshing in the hour of need-
How rich, how sweet to know!
5 Though for our needs we do not ask
But by Thy Spirit pray,
Our every need is known to Thee,
We’re in Thy care alway.
6 Though griefs and trials on us press,
We will not anxious be,
But all our care upon Thee cast
And set our spirit free.
7 O may I concentrated be
In fellowship with Thee,
My prayer and incense offering,
Thy Spirit leading me.
It is such a comfort to know that our every need is know by Him and that we are always in His care. Hallelujah! Well, I should rest.
Much love,
Joanne
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is so encouraging for those of us praying while you were in hospital! So many are praying, from coast to coast! Barbara B. and I prayed specifically for the stent to be the problem! This is wonderful news!
Thanks for the update, Joanne. I hope you continue to get more comfortable and that the stent keeps doing its job without clogging.
Love, Terri
I'm so glad you're home, and better. Sorry I missed you Saturday night! Enjoyed taking Elizabeth for a fun spin on the dance floor, though. :-)
Post a Comment