Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Update

Hi everyone,
Sorry for being so deliquent in updating the blog - I have been feeling exhausted this week and also still having to deal with the stomach pains, cramps and general uncomfortable feeling whenever I eat anything. Even drinking water causes pain. Since I have these stents, I am supposed to eat a very processed diet - the opposite of what I have been eating - one doctor called it "The Twinkie Diet". This diet should be composed of highly caloric processed foods - UGH - because I don't have to eat much to get a large amount of calories. While I haven't really taken this diet seriously, I have not been able to eat much fresh, raw foods without experiencing intense pain - so no fruit or vegetables. Everything has to be cooked or processed in the food processor - like baby foods or smoothies. Smoothies sound good - I just have to find some recipes that don't have milk - it seems that milk products cause stomach aches as well.

I saw Dr. Berlin today and found that my white and red counts are down (as expected) and that is the main reason for the exhaustion. My next round of chemo is on Wednesday, December 17. Please pray for the effective killing of the cancer cells and that the Lord, in His mercy would subdue some of the awful side effects from the chemo.

While I was in the hospital so many of you called/visited/prayed. I want you all to know how much you ministered life to me both physically and spiritually. How much we need one another as we go through all these suffering circumstances.

I am so grateful to the Lord for each day. His mercies are new every morning. His rich supply is like the manna - the fresh dew each morning. His grace is sufficient and is available for timely help. His throne is a throne of grace, where I can come boldly. Hallelujah! Again I enjoyed this great hymn by Fanny Crosby:

1 Redeemed—how I love to proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed through His infinite mercy,
His child, and forever, I am.

Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed, redeemed,
His child, and forever, I am.

2 Redeemed and so happy in Jesus,
No language my rapture can tell;
I know that the light of His presence
With me doth continually dwell.

3 I think of my blessed Redeemer,
I think of Him all the day long;
I sing, for I cannot be silent;
His love is the theme of my song.

4 I know I shall see in His beauty
The King in whose way I delight;
Who lovingly guardeth my footsteps,
And giveth me songs in the night.


I especially enjoyed the lines I sing for I cannot be silent - His love is the theme of my song! I'm sure you all know about Fanny Crosby, but in case you don't - she was blind from a baby and wrote over 8,000 hymns in her lifetime. On her tombstone is inscribed "She did what she could."** Wow! You never sense in any of her hymns anything but rejoicing! What a wonderful testimony.

**see next post in blog.

Love you all,
Joanne

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Please don't feel like you have to apologize for infrequent updates; you are in the middle of really awful chemo, and I think Fanny Crosby's epitaph applies to you right now too -- she did what she could!

Praying for His merciful intervention in your pain ...

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanne, I wrote this for you late, late Thurs.Dec.11

"Being Poured Out"

She wept tears of sadness, tears of great sorrow

She wept for what seemed a lost tomorrow

She wept for yesterday, then wept for today

She wept, and her tears, with her hair, washed away

The dirt on His feet put there that day

By walking and walking, walking miles to say

"Leave her alone, she's done what I say will LONG be remembered of her this day...

She's poured out HERSELF and washed with her tears,

Feet soon to be bloodied, nailed with YOUR FEARS,

With the Sin of the World, to a Tree, splintered wood.

Leave her alone! She did what she could."