Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Seeing Dr. Berlin

Hi Everyone,
Just a quick update - I saw Dr. Berlin today - after waiting 2.5 hours to see her! They say she spends a lot of time with her patients and that is why she is always late. I guess that's a good reason. I was able to do some reading while I waited and waited. I was in a great room on the corner of the building on the 9th floor that has two windows on the corner and around the office on two sides giving a great view of the whole Boston Medical area. Dr. Berlin told me that the chest CT scan showed nodularity that they couldn't distinguish - she says it means that one area of gray was not as smooth as other areas of gray and so she says that the only way they can tell if it is some new growth is to rescan - which they are going to do in July! My CA125 was 5, like it was in January. Anything below 35 is considered "normal." The hernia is something that needs to be taken care of because of how much of the colon is involved. I asked her about any complications with having the surgery - she felt that is was a quality of life decision since I can't continue to go around with that huge bulge. She said we have to take the high road in this field and we have to live like we are going to live! Amen to that! I am so thankful to the Lord for all that He has provided through this and other doctors at Dana Farber. That place is really something special – even the parking people are kind!

Dr. Berlin did want me to see a Dr. Rosenthal at the Zakim Center at Dana Farber – he is a “complementary” care doctor who could review the supplements I am taking through the naturopathic doctor. I didn’t have a chance to see him today but I will call him soon.

Well, I must get back to my reading.

Much love,
Joanne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an overall good report. We'll trust Jesus that the July scan will provide a good report. And so thankful for positive experiences with doctor visits, that really helps minimize nervousness...look forward to hearing how the doctor visit at Zakim Center goes....many hugs - In Him