Friday, July 13, 2007

getting in shape for surgery

Hi Everyone,
It has been a week since chemo and while I am feeling fatigued, I am definitely better than I was. I even threw in some laundry - and then had to rest for 10 minutes - laundry can do that, especially at my house! I have so much enjoyed the comments from you as well as cards, visits, meals and calls. Sometimes when I am resting I don't pick up the phone, but just seeing that you called is so encouraging. My mission these next two weeks is to get ready for surgery - apparently an attitude of dread and fear is counter-healing and can actually prolong recovery. My oncologist recommended a book by Peggy Huddleston about preparing for and healing from surgery. It is an interesting approach. The author was a Harvard Divinity School grad who has done a lot of work in the Boston area with cancer/surgery patients. The approach is not something I had thought about but one thing she said is that while there are many, many things out of my control, the one thing I can control is my mind. Just like in Romans 8:6 - for the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the spirit is life and peace. I can set my mind on something other than my anxiety - which is a REAL exercise of the spirit for me. But since I have two weeks to practice this, I am going to find a few verses that will serve like the stones David selected from the stream and placed in his shepherd's bag to fight Goliath. Somewhere I once heard that these stones represent the Word which we select to fight the accuser. I'm going to find some verses on rest and peace that I can use to silence the anxious thoughts in my mind. If you have any suggestions, please send them along.
As soon as I am stronger, I am going to try walking around the block - I am wary of a very mean large dog across the street from me but that shouldn't keep me inside. I want to be as strong as possible physically for this surgery too.

The real prayer requests are for the upcoming surgery - that all the visible cancer can be removed (that didn't happen last time). Also, I am praying that the chemo will seek and destroy all the cancer cells in the abdominal area. Pray for the healing of the wound - the last wound still has not completely healed - pray for no infection and for peace for me and the family. Another prayer request involves the pre-op prep which is like preparing for a colonoscopy - drink yuky stuff etc. Please pray that I don't get too weak and collapse like I did earlier this week. That is something that is a recurring worry.

Thank you all again for your support - I wouldn't be here today without the Lord's gracious supply ministered to me through you all.

Love,
Joanne

6 comments:

Bradley said...

There's a River of Water of Life that's flowing free
There's a River of Water of Life for you and me
There's a River of Water of Life for you
A River of Water of Life for me
There's a River of Water of Life that's flowing free

Hallelujah!

Unknown said...

Dear Joanne,
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." Jo 16:33.

"The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace." Sl 29:11


May His peace dwell in you heart these days Joanne. You are in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Glad to hear you ar a little better. The fall last week must of been very frightening. Falls are very dangerous esp for those on blood thinner. Thank God you are better! Just wondering if you don't need more than water for hydration....Are your electrolytes with in normal limits? What are you able to eat & drink these days. Let me know when it would be a better time to plan a visit -maybe a short walk :o)? You and your Lord have traveled far I know he will continue to carry you. Thank you for your encouragements.
Carlota

Anonymous said...

Hi sister Joanne,

It is so encouraging to "hear" you in the blog. I know it is very selfish of me but I wish you would just keep on writing. I can always drink from the fountain of God which flows right out of your experiences. We are praying for you.

Alessandra and the boys.

FishRCool said...

Hello Mrs. Juraschek,
I've been reading your blog since Anna told me about your battle with this cancer. I know you were asking for verses on peace, but just recently I've discovered the secret to finding my spirit when at times it seems like I can't. The enemy does all he can to distract us from getting to our spirit. It is my understanding that we receive peace when we enjoy the Father. At least it has been my experience recently. Eph. 3:16, mostly the second part, "...be strenghtened with power through His Spirit into the inner man." This power is the resurrection power. It is by this power we can be strengthened to turn and exercise our spirit. Maybe you can get someone to read the footnotes on power in Eph. 1:19 if you aren't able to. It's quite amazing. I am praying for you everyday. The Lord will not let me forget :) May the Lord strengthen your physical body as well to prepare you for your surgery coming up. And Lord, bind that mean, nasty dog!
Love,
Mary Griswold

jessica said...

Mrs. Juraschek,
It's so true--our mind and soul are a battlefield that both God and Satan are trying to control. Some verses for you that make the connection between peace and our mind(Darby translation):
Ephesians 4:7, ..."and the peace of God, which surpasses every understanding, shall guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus."

Isaiah 26:3, "The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, Because he trusts in You."

Your comment actually reminded me of an individual whose work I read in college, named Viktor Frankl. He was a Holocaust survivor and then became a neurologist and psychaistrist. He noted that while he was in the concentration camp, the prison guards controlled every aspect of his life; the one thing they could not touch, however, was his attitude, and so he practiced maintaining some degree of positive outlook. Can you imagine?? That comment was inspiring to me, and I was newly encouraged this morning when I read your latest blog entry. I am praying for you--that you would be strengthened to set your mind on the spirit!

Stephen and Anna stopped in Oklahoma for the night on their way home--it was really wonderful to see them.

Love,
Jessica