In reading the Healing from surgery book, I have to come up with a restful, relaxing place where I can imagine myself resting. I've been having the hardest time to come up with a picture of a relaxing place - it seems that everywhere I think is somewhat stressful.
I thought of a nice warm bed with a comforter and the fresh smell of sheets as you snuggle down under the covers. That might be a good one.
As I searched the New Testament for verses, I realized that the coming of the Lord Jesus to the earth announced peace among men. He is our peace (Ephesians 2:14-15). His coming announced peace! I am also reminded of the verses in Luke 8 where Jesus told his disciples that they would go over to the other side of the sea. A strong wind and storm arose but Jesus was asleep in the boat. It is amazing to me that in the midst of the storm with the wind, the rain and the raging sea, Jesus was asleep in the bottom of the boat, resting. I read the following and it is really true:
"We need to believe in the Lord and not look at our environment or circumstances. Instead of looking at the storm, let us look at the resting Lord. Which will you follow—the storm or the resting Lord? We may even want to say to the Lord, “Lord, since You are resting, I shall rest with You. Let the wind blow. Because You are resting, I can rest with You.” However, it is easy to say this, but it is difficult to practice it."
So how do I practice resting? Partly by saying no to worry - I have been trying this each day - when the worries come up and attack - I speak to them - No, you are a lie. I will not allow my mind to be invaded by you. The surgery coming up is good, necessary and right. But I have worried a lot over the years as all who know me can testify, so this is an exercise of the Spirit with my spirit - to change the way I think. This must be the renewing of the mind! Even though I can't remember things and seem to have a shortened attention span, my mind is still being renewed!
I also realize that some of the worries need to be borne in prayer by others. I think of Moses who had his arms held up in prayer by Aaron and Hur in order to defeat the Amalekites. We need to pray for each other and hold each other up in order to defeat the enemy. So I appreciate all the prayer which strengthens me to rest with the resting Lord Jesus. Things to continue to pray for: the surgery on July 26 - that all the cancer can be removed, no complications, no infections; the surgery preparation - that it will be effective; also I struggle with fear which sometimes overtakes me - I know that perfect love casts out fear and I stand on that fact, but sometimes the fear just grips me when I don't expect it. Please pray that the promises that the Lord has given in His word would be my reality. Pray also that I can focus on the Word - sometimes it's difficult to focus.
Well, I'd better go - much love to all of you.
Joanne
Monday, July 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Dear Joanne,
Upcoming surgery is a big deal for you. You must be thinking all the possible things going to happen during and after the operation. As human being, this is so natural and perfectly understandable. However, we are different from world people, since we are the children of the God. We should have faith in Him. Faith is to believe and assert what God says. Faith steps on seeming void, and find the rock beneath. Only trust Him, you shall be held up.
The God is faithful. He never leaves you alone. His powerful hands always there to support you when you feel falling.
Joanne, your experience is truly testimony and your blog already gives us a lot life supply. We are together with you in fighting the cancer and pray for you everyday.
Peace and joy dwell in your heart.
Love in Him.
You are beautiful Joanne. Jesus is exalted in your life and you bring Him glory.
It is an honor to pray in such a way as to lift you up like Aaron and Hur did for Moses.
peace ... yes...His peace like in Philippians 4:7...will be my prayer for you. much love, your sister in Christ.
Hi Joanne--
I've just read your two recent entries. I love the idea of collecting verses like David collecting the stones to fight Goliath. What a healthy attitude! Natalie and I pray for you every night.
Kara
Joanne,
"You will keep in Perfect Peace
him whose mind is steadfast
because he trusts in You"
Isaiah 26:3
What could be better than
Perfect Peace....?
We are praying that ..."all
the peace of God, which transcends
all understanding, will guard your
hearts and minds in Christ Jesus"
Philippians 4:7
In His everlasting Love,
the Strasners
Post a Comment