Saturday, May 3, 2008

Songs in the Night

Hi Everyone,
Lately (for the past few months actually) I have been waking up at around 3:30 or 4:00. Sometimes I can get back to sleep but other times sleep just slips away and I am left in my bed with my thoughts. I usually am reminded that this is a good time to pray and spend time with the Lord. Today, I got up and remembered a line from a hymn by Fanny Crosby - the line was "And giveth me songs in the night." Here is the hymn which is an old favorite and really enjoyable to sing:

1 Redeemed—how I love to proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed through His infinite mercy,
His child, and forever, I am.

Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed, redeemed,
His child, and forever, I am.


2 Redeemed and so happy in Jesus,
No language my rapture can tell;
I know that the light of His presence
With me doth continually dwell.

3 I think of my blessed Redeemer,
I think of Him all the day long;
I sing, for I cannot be silent;
His love is the theme of my song.

4 I know I shall see in His beauty
The King in whose way I delight;
Who lovingly guardeth my footsteps,
And giveth me songs in the night.


I wondered if this phrase was in the Bible or just a symbolically poetic phrase. Here are a number of verses about songs in the night.

Job 35:10: But no one says, Where is God my Maker, Who gives songs in the night,

Psalms 42:8: By day Jehovah commands His lovingkindness, And by night His song is with me, A prayer to the God of my life.

Psalms 77:6: I remember my song in the night; I muse with my own heart, and my spirit carefully searches.

Psalms 119:62: At midnight I rise up to give thanks to You Because of Your righteous ordinances.

Acts 16:25: And about midnight Paul and Silas, while praying, sang hymns of praise to God; and the prisoners were listening to them.


Many times last year I would awaken in the middle of the night because of a beeping IV pump, or pain, hot flashes, or the nurse checking vital signs or I was just awake. I can't remember ever feeling completely alone and desolate - rather, I was comforted by the Word of God and by songs in the night. Sometimes I would listen to a cd of the Bible or else I would listen to a hymn - but most of the time, the Lord would remind me of a verse or hymn or someone to pray for. Each time I had a strong sensation that the Lord was there with me, giving me songs in the night. Praise Him.

So again, this morning at 4:00, I was awake and praying for a dear sister I know who is fighting a similar cancer battle (only she is at the beginning) and the Lord gave me a song in the night! He is too sweet, too rich, too wonderful! I had to share the song with you all.

Much love,
Joanne

No comments: