It's me, Joanne, up at 4:30 due to a number of issues, one being the pressing issues of life that keep me awake, another being the pain at the incision sites which requires that I take medication which makes my mind fuzzy. Oh Lord. So, this morning when I woke up, I was reminded of a line from one of my favorite hymns - "When we reach the end of our hoarded resources, our Father's full giving is only begun."
I also considered the instance of the wedding at Cana where resources ran out and they came to Jesus for the answer. Here is the account of that wedding:
John 2:1-11
1 And the third day a wedding took place in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.
2 And Jesus also was invited, as well as His disciples, to the wedding.
3 And when the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to Him, They have no wine.
4 And Jesus said to her, Woman, what do I have in this that concerns you? My hour has not yet come.
5 His mother said to the servants, Whatever He says to you, do.
6 Now there were six stone waterpots lying there, according to the Jews' rite of purification, holding two or three measures each.
7 Jesus said to them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.
8 And He said to them, Draw some out now and take it to the master of the feast. And they took it to him.
9 And when the master of the feast tasted the water which had become wine and did not know where it came from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew, the master of the feast called the bridegroom
10 And said to him, Every man sets out the good wine first, and when they have drunk freely, then that which is worse; you have kept the good wine until now.
11 This beginning of signs Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee and manifested His glory, and His disciples believed into Him.
Many years ago, as a young Christian, I always pondered this incongruity of being at the end of hoarded resources, yet being indwelt with the limitless, Eternal One! Why was I at the end of my rope? Why was I not able to go on? Wasn't I a Christian? Wasn't this a poor testimony? Well, I found the answer when I read something about this passage. It has continued to supply me all through the years and supplied me again this morning when I was faced with the end of the line of my hoarded resources again.
The footnotes for these verses really explain the situation. The fact that the wine ran out is significant. Footnote 3-1 says: Wine, the life juice of the grape, signifies life. Hence, the wine's running out symbolizes that the human life runs out. Ran out - literally the translation means fell short.
Verse 6 talks about the 6 stone waterpots lying there which signify man, who was created on the 6th day. That they were used for the Jewish rite of purification:Footnote 6-2: The Jews' rite of purification with water signifies religion's attempt to make people clean by certain dead practices. But the Lord changes death into life. The water that the waterpots were filled with signified death - (we are baptized in water into the death of Christ).
So far, the 6 waterpots, signifying man, who was created on the 6th day, are filled with water, i.e. death. The wine, the human life has run out. But hallelujah, Jesus is there! At that juncture, Jesus changes the water into wine. The head waiter appraises the wine as the best. The end is not the end when Jesus is there. That is because the Lord’s changing water into wine establishes the principle of life— changing death into life. The Lord Jesus can change death into life. So when we reach the end of ourselves, and we come to the Lord at the end, He can fill us with Himself and become our life.
I know in principle, we are Christians and the Lord is our life. But we will depend upon and live according to our natural life (the first wine). This life will come to an end, it will run out.
So while I have extenuating circumstances that require much prayer, I also have the confidence that as long as Jesus is a factor, the running out of my human life, the end of my human capacity is the door of opportunity for Him to become my life, and my all.
Here's the hymn that I enjoyed and a new way of singing it
(http://www.hymnal.net/Hymns/NewTunes/midi/e0723_new.mid):
1 He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase,
To added affliction He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.
His love has no limit, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men,
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth and giveth and giveth again.
2 When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half-done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources,
Our Father's full giving is only begun.
Isn't it wonderful that His love has no limit? His grace has no measure? He is giving all that He is to us - Praise Him.
Please continue to pray that we can get the house issues taken care of - they are very pressing and it is getting increasingly difficult to find places for all the stuff. Please also pray for Paul - he is in the middle of all this and the burden is crushing as times. Please also pray that the incisions from the surgery would heal and that the Lord would continue to take care of every detail.
He is so wonderful.
Much love to you all,
Joanne
3 comments:
Hi Joanne,
I am always amazed at your strenght and Faith!!
I think of you often and pray you have a speedy and complete recovery.
Carlota
Hi Joanne,
The Lord's filling you up to overflowing with his Life all the time...it is evident in your testimony...Even though I haven't seen you in a long while...too long. I continue to pray for your healing, your new recovery of your recent surgery and your strength. We are all standing with you and your family for we are all members of one body .
"And whether one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or one member is glorified, all the members rejoice with it." Over the past year, we have shared this experience many times with you...suffering in our hearts with your physical battles and rejoycing with your spiritual strength and "Life". Try to rest and be comforted by our prayers.
~ Love from Christine
It is at our weakest point, when Jesus becomes our all that He shines the most through us. I thank the Lord for shining through you as you continually rely upon Him and reveal His Glory! In Him
Post a Comment