Hi Everyone,
I got to Dana-Farber today in spite of snow, ice and freezing rain - thanks to my youngest son Andrew who provided moral support for me and drove with me into Boston. First of all, the CA 125 is down to 62 from 162 last time! This chemo is working and I am so thankful for all the prayer and for God's operating.
The wait for Dr. Berlin was about 10 minutes in the waiting room and then about 20 minutes in the exam room. This is very unusual. Then the wait upstairs for chemo was only about 15 minutes. I have waited for at least 1 hour each time I came. When I got in for the chemo, the people next to me whom I didn't meet were reading the Bible together. It was so wonderful to listen to them - they were reading the gospel of Matthew and it sounded like they were reading some passages for the first time. They marveled at Jesus' words and acts. I had brought things to do, but I just listened to their reading. It was so sweet to hear people appreciate the precious words of the Lord Jesus. It watered my spirit immensely. I wasn't sure if I should interrupt them since they were have some personal time together so I just prayed for them and drank in the sweet aroma of Christ which they filled the place with.
I had a long visit with the social worker Irene - she is very sweet and I enjoy speaking with her. Paul came and brought me a triple berry smoothie which was really tasty. When the taxol was complete, I started the carboplatin. I had a slight allergic reaction last time so they were concerned a bit but thought it should be fine. Paul went out and got me some lo mein noodles and chicken. After eating some of the meal, I suddenly got very sick- like I was going to throw up. I went to the bathroom but this didn't help and I started having trouble breathing. Turns out this was major allergic reaction to the carboplatin. Those nurses at D-F were amazing. Within seconds they had the meds, oxygen, a EKG, vitals and Dr. Berlin - and brought down the reaction. Hallelujah! Also, it turns out I had most of the carboplatin - so I don't have to miss the dose this week. In the future they have a desensitizing program where I get the carboplatin over 8-10 hours.
When I was listening to the couple today, I thought of that wonderful hymn by John Newton. I know I've posted it before, but it really was my experience today. Here's a link to the tune: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php?t=h&n=66&f=mid
1 How sweet the Name of Jesus sounds
In a believer's ear!
It soothes his sorrow, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.
2 It makes the wounded spirit whole,
And calms the troubled breast;
'Tis manna to the hungry soul,
And to the weary rest.
3 Dear Name! the Rock on which we build;
Our shield and hiding-place;
Our never-failing treasury, filled
With boundless stores of grace.
4 Jesus, our Savior, Shepherd, Friend,
Our Prophet, Priest, and King;
Our Lord, our Life, our Way, our End,
Accept the praise we bring.
5 Weak is the effort of our heart,
And cold our warmest thought;
But when we see Thee as Thou art,
We'll praise Thee as we ought.
6 Till then we would Thy love proclaim
With every fleeting breath;
And triumph in that blessed Name
Which quells the pow'r of death.
(Repeat the last two lines of each stanza)
We triumph in that blessed Name, which quells the power of death! Hallelujah!
Please pray for the next few days and for the chemo side effects - that I will be able to manage the nausea and not get too depleted. Thank you all for your faithful prayers - the stomach pain subsided a couple of days ago and yesterday I was able to go into school and work in the library - it was great! I had no pain. Thank you Lord!
Love you all -
Joanne
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wonderful news. Thanks for the update!
Post a Comment